If you’re like most Coloradans, the sun is everything! Boasting more than 300 days of sunshine a year, the sun can be a healthy addiction and common expectation. The sun affects our mood, our energy level and overall health no matter where you live. If you live in Colorado then you know we’ve been experiencing over two weeks of almost non-stop rain with an occasional snow blast. The bottom line is we have been without our glorious sunshine for what seems like decades. Weather-wise right now, Colorado could be…Seattle or even England (I lived in England, trust me, this weather makes me feel like I am there).
Here are some tips to get you through the raindrops, keep your mood up and your energy high:
- Turn on as many indoor lights as possible. Even buy an extra lamp or two.
- Exercise daily even if for just 5-10 minutes
- Do deep breathing exercises throughout the day
- Leave a window or sliding door wall slightly cracked open for some fresh air (remember to close both when leaving your home unattended)
- Be social or more social
- Minimize your exposure to the computer or any kind of technology, it drains us even with the sun
- Volunteer, helping others distracts us from negative feelings and situations & is so fulfilling
- Listen to upbeat music, dance!
- Read those books that you have been wanting to
- Go to a Cafe even if by yourself and treat yourself to a warm cup of glorious tea
- Play with your dog more, they feel the dreariness too; brush him, bathe him and toss a ball down the stairs to give him exercise
- Window shop at an outdoor covered strip mall (indoor is ok too) Buy a new outfit
- Have a piece of dark chocolate
- Enjoy this as a time for reflection and inner growth for this too shall pass
Looking on the bright side of gray clouds, rainy days and cooler temps is that each day is one less day of the hot, scorching sun, no wild fires and we get to enjoy the lush green lawns. And…we’re saving money on our sprinkler water bill!
If you find that the weather has you down more than you can handle, contact me. 303.727.0192