From traditional to “break” the breakfast rules, here are some delicious options for breaking the fast. Bon appetit!
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned slow cooking oatmeal (or GF oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup water or enough to cover and soak the oatmeal for 5 minutes
- 2 cups Pamela’s GF Pancake and Baking Mix
- 1 egg
- enough coconut or rice milk to the desired consistency, start with 1 cup
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) (or regular olive oil)
- Butter (real, unsalted butter)
- Side dish of vegetables (peas, Italian green beans, or broccoli or your choice!)
Heat the griddle to medium hot. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Griddle should be hot enough when you spit on it and it sizzles. Use a ladle or pour 1/2-1 cup of pancake mix onto griddle. As soon as pancake starts to bubble, flip it over with a spatula. Let pancake rise and brown naturally. Check underneath for growing. Place pancake onto plate. Add a pat of butter, honey or maple syrup and enjoy!
- 6 slices of nitrate-free/preservative-free bacon
- 1 Tbs of EVOO
- 1 yellow sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- several pieces of thinly-sliced beef’s liver
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- green beans
- 1/2 pound of mushrooms, sliced
Heat pan, add 3-4 pats of unsalted butter. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside. Discard liquid. Heat pan, add EVOO. Add green beans and cook until slightly tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside with mushrooms. Heat pan and add EVOO. Add sliced onions and cook until transparent and soft. Remove onions and set aside separately from mushrooms and green beans. Heat pan, add EVOO and cook bacon thoroughly and to the consistency that you like (soft or crispy). Remove bacon while keeping bacon juices in pan. Add liver and cook on both sides for only 2-3 minutes. Liver will get leathery is overcooked. Combine bacon, liver and onions and serve with green beans and mushrooms. Yum!
Fried Brown Rice
- Make brown rice the night before, let cool and store in the refrigerator overnight
- 1 yellow sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 purple onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
- cooked green vegetables of your choice
- meat/seafood of your choice, cooked and diced
- Unsalted butter
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
Cook brown rice according to the directions and the amount you want the night before you will eat it for breakfast. Heat pan and cook carrots for several minutes. Cook meat separately and dice. Cook vegetables and set aside. Heat pan with 2 Tbs of butter. Add rice and heat, stirring to prevent burning. May need more butter or add a little bit of water at a time. Add carrots, onions, vegetables and meat. Stir and serve!
My favorite smoothie of all time!
By Victoria Boutenko, Smoothie Revolution
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 3 celery stalks
- 3-4 parsley sprigs
- 1-2 tsps of fresh squeezed lemon
- 1 TBS EVOO, extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tsps of sea salt
- 1-1 1/2 cups of water depending on the consistency that you want (I like thick)
- Optional: flaxseeds or chia seeds
Place all of the ingredients in a Vitamix or suitable blender and blend until smooth. Drink within 20 minutes (before the enzymes break down!). Nutrient-dense and oh so Fabulous!
Apple Slices and Peanut Butter
- 1 apple of your eye (red delicious, Fuji, Gala, etc)sliced into 8ths
- 2-3 TBS of raw, organic peanut butter (sea salted or unsalted, NO added oils)
- green vegetable of your choice (swiss chard, arugula, brussel sprouts, etc)